F A M I L Y

F A M I L Y

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Somedays You Just Need Your Mama


Isn't my mom beautiful? I just had to post about my day Friday. My parents and I were supposed to go to Washington to see Sammi and her family but the weather was so bad there that we just couldn't make it. I swear that always happens to me. Anytime I plan on going somewhere, thats when it decides to storm. Anyway, I was pretty bummed out and emotional so my mom decided to just work for a little while in the morning and just have a girls day. So about noon we went up to Idaho Falls and just had the day to ourselves. I love when we are together and have to drive somewhere. That is where we have such good talks. I can't even explain how amazing my mom is and what a great example she is to me. It's hard not to even get a little emotional writing this because of how highly I think of her. I know she probably doesn't think so and would never admit it but she is an inspiration to many people.

We talked of a lot of things that just really touched me. I seriously can't go a day without tearing up just a little bit. So, I did a lot on Friday but it was good. My mom was telling me stories from the church news and things like that. She told me of a man, Philip, who left the church at 14 because of his lack of interest in religion. He went into a book store one day when he was older and a woman there had mistaken him for a model that would act as Jesus Christ for pictures. If you can imagine this man had long hair, a beard and just resembled Christ. The man had to correct the woman at the store telling her that he was not who she thought. The woman at the book store worked with photographer Liz Swindle, so she told her about this man that she met in the book shop. To make this long story short, Liz Swindle was contacted from an organization called "Mothers Without Border" and had asked her to go to Africa and take some pictures with the African children and Christ. After turning the opportunity down once, plus he had cut his hair that year, Philip said yes the next year Liz had called again asking him to go with her. He thought he was just on a paid vacation but while he was in Africa things changed. When he was with the children portraying Jesus he would tell them that he is not really Jesus Christ but he knows that Heavenly Father loves each and every one of them. Philip got very sick while he was there and a young man came and asked him if he would like a priesthood blessing. Philip turned him down at first but as he was leaving he told him that he would take him up on his offer. So later, the young man came back with a white shirt and tie on and had another man with him. They gave him a blessing and after they were done he said that he knew that the words that came out were not from the young man. He knew that the spirit was helping the young man give him the blessing. After this experience and Philip returned home, he broke up with his girlfriend, found the church again, and ended up marrying the lady who runs "Mothers Without Borders". She is older than him by about 20 years and they still go to Africa so he can pose as Christ. Here is a link to the story http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705395464/Modeling-as-Savior-helps-man-find-his-faith.html. I just thought it was so neat that this guy posed as Christ to these crying children and had no idea who Christ really was. But he knew that he was important to these children and it ended up changing his life. Just a touching little story I thought I'd share. This is why my mom is so amazing.

My mom and I also got talking about putting things off and how we always say that we will do it tomorrow. She was telling me another story resembling that but all I really remember my mom saying is, "Tomorrow may never come. Tomorrow didn't come for my mom." I can't even imagine what I would do if I couldn't have a girls day with my mom. I think that is why I was so emotional that day was because I didn't want to take a second of it for granted. I wanted to cherish every moment I got with her because I can't imagine if tomorrow didn't come. My mom is such a strong women and I know a lot of it is because of her having to be without her mom and be without those talks and quick phone calls asking if canned milk is the same as evaporated milk. :) But because of those trials we face I am so grateful of the woman my mom has become. She is a great leader, mom, wife, friend, coworker, and on and on. All it takes is a smile, note, hug, diet coke, or something small to change someones day. Because of Friday, my mom has made me want to really try to do those little things for someone who looks like they need it. Because of my mom I am who I am today. Because of my mom, I know anything is possible.

I LOVE YOU MOM


Shout out to Sammi as well... She is becoming an amazing mother just like our Mom is. She had a great post on her blog the other day that touched me as well. It was about an experience she had that made her realize that we are just so quick to judge. Here is her link so you can read it because I thought it was great. lifewiththeroberts.blogspot.com. It is in the post about Kenadee's pinewood derby. LOVE YOU SAM

2 comments:

  1. She is the most amazing woman ever! It is because of her I am who I am also. I maybe hot headed, speak my mind when I should keep my mouth shut. But none the less she loves us for who we are. Mom has made me want to be a better mom, wife, sister and friend. I wouldn't be surviving in WAshington without mom teaching me how important it is to be positive an look for the good in all things. I love you too mom and Kayla I am so grateful you are so close that you and mom can have those special moments. Live you and kiss you more than you will ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is supposed to say LOVE you! Darn phone!

    ReplyDelete